The first Mothers' Union Handbook held in the Diocesan archives is dated 1892 and is the second one published by the diocese of St. Alban’s of which we were then a part. Although the branch at Waltham Abbey is listed, it does not give any idea of when it was started - maybe old parish records could give this information although it's very unlikely to have been before 1885.
In that Handbook, the branch is given as having 31 members under the leadership of Lady Victoria Buxton. By 1900 members had risen to 100 and In 1901 Monkham, Sewardstone and Warlies were shown as sub-branches. By 1913 Waltham Abbey had joined with Sewardstone giving a joint membership of 150 and Lady Victoria took over Upshire.
In 1914 the Diocese of Chelmsford was formed together with a deanery structure and Waltham Abbey was listed in the first handbook of the new diocese under the heading of Chigwell deanery.
During the war years branch member dropped to 18 and in the following years fluctuated between 40 and 83 until with 37 members it went into abeyance in 1977.
The branch re-opened in 1991 with 22 members and has continued to date with numbers at 23 to 25.