Services at the Abbey Church
Due to the Covid-19 emergency, the Abbey Church is closed and no services are currently taking place, except as below:
- Private prayer.
- The church is open on Sundays between 10.00 a.m. and noon, on Wednesdays from 10.00 a.m. until noon (offering a particular welcome to those who are vulnerable and shielding), and on Saturdays between 11.00 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
- Baptisms and Funerals.
- These can be arranged with the Parish Office. Unfortunately, there can only be a limited number of attendees.
The following resources are available for you to use at home:
Sunday 29th November – First Sunday in Advent
- A prerecorded Eucharist which you can view below:
- A sermon written by a member of the clergy.
- Readings and prayers.
- A worksheet for children.
- Virtual eucharist via Zoom with St Thomas, Upshire and Holy Innocents at 9.00 a.m. (in traditional language) and 10.30 a.m. (in contemporary language). Please contact Beth Horton via the High Beach web site if you would like to join either of these services.
- An order of service for Morning Prayer at Home.
- An order of service for Night Prayer.
- The monthly Prayer Diary.
- A Covid-19 prayer booklet from the Church of England.
- The Church of England Daily Hope phone line: 0800 804 8044 (freephone). Please pass this phone number on to those who don't have access to anything other than a telephone.
- 8.30 a.m.
- Holy Communion: a quiet, reflective communion service with sermon, based on the 1928 prayer book.
- 10.30 a.m.
- Parish Eucharist (2nd, 4th and 5th Sundays in the month): a Common Worship communion service with hymns, some parts are sung by the congregation and choir. The service has a formal structure but encompasses moments of informality and humour! For children, there are Sunday Clubs that meet for the first part of the service.
- The Church has a policy for children to be admitted to communion before confirmation. For more information about this, please speak to one of the clergy team.
- All Age Service (1st Sunday): a service very much orientated to all ages using a mixture of traditional and contemporary hymns. The service lasts approximately 45 minutes with a talk and children's involvement and is aided by our Choristers with piano and organ. Based on a Common Worship service format.
- All Age Communion (3rd Sunday): a service that does what the title says – a service for all the church family. In style it is an informal communion supported by the Choristers using traditional and contemporary hymns and songs. With Bible reading and a talk. The service lasts about an hour.
- We invite you to stay for refreshments and fellowship after the 10.30am service.
- 6.30 p.m.
- Choral Communion (1st Sunday): a service using traditional language from Common Worship with prayer book format. The service is led by our Choir using music from various classic composers. Includes sermon and hymns.
- Choral Evensong (2nd and 4th Sundays): a service (main church) using the 1928 prayer book for evening prayer led by the Choir. With psalm, hymns, canticles, anthem and sermon.
- Healing Eucharist (3rd Sunday): a Common Worship communion service with hymns, silence (a time for reflection or prayer), sermon and laying on of hands for healing. The laying on of hands takes place at the altar rail and is completely confidential - an opportunity for prayer for yourself or others. In style, a reflective and supportive service.
- Choral Compline (Occasional Sundays): a quiet and reflective service using the ancient monastic service of Compline, which includes hymns, psalm and a short thought or reflection. The congregation and Choir sing parts of the service. The service lasts about 45 minutes.
- Taize (Occasional Sundays): this is a service adapted from those of the Taize Community. This service of evening worship invokes some of the core characteristics of the Taize prayer service with plenty of silence, space for contemplation and the chanting of songs. The service lasts about 30-45 minutes.
Morning Prayer: 8.30 a.m. on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Market Day Service: 10.30 a.m. in the Lady Chapel. Designed as a thoughtful midweek service for those coming to the town for the market. A simple service with a talk, prayers and hymns. The service lasts about 45 minutes and is followed by refreshments.
- Unity Chapel Prayers: 12 noon in the Lady Chapel. Led by the different churches in Waltham Abbey, this service takes a simple form with prayers, thought and song for the week. Its focus is on the unity of the church and the world. Lasts 20 minutes.
- Holy Communion: 10.00 a.m. in the main Church. A 1928 Book of Common Prayer communion service. Lasts 35 minutes and is followed by refreshments.
We welcome enquiries about weddings, please contact the Parish Office for details. See also our Wedding Guide.
Renewal of Wedding Vows
Take place throughout the week. Please contact the Parish Office for details.
Baptisms usually take place on the first or third Sunday of the month after the main Sunday morning service. Enquiries please to the Parish Office.
These usually take place on weekdays. Please make enquiries with the Parish Office.
This takes place twice a year on a Sunday in spring and autumn (for dates and times, please see below or in the weekly notices; alternatively contact the Parish Office). A time to remember the departed who were close to us. All welcome.
Due to the Covid-19 emergency, only a limited number of services are currently taking place at the Abbey Church. Refer to the Covid-19 emergency section for details.