Visiting the Abbey
Open seven days a week:
- Monday, Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Friday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 noon to 4 p.m.
Opening hours are subject to additional services and recitals. To check opening hours contact the Parish Office.
Group Visits – contact the Parish Office for further information or to book a guided tour.
The Friends of Waltham Abbey Church Visitors’ Centre (situated in the crypt) is open throughout the day.
The following guides to the church are available to visitors to enhance and inform their visit:
- The Short Guide – a free, illustrated leaflet outlining the history of the church and drawing attention to the significant features.
- The Church Guidebook - divides the church into nine sections, each with
its own two-page spread. For each section the guidebook offers:
- a description of its history and significant features;
- a Biblical text;
- a reflection on the spiritual meaning of the place;
- a prayer.
There are also activities for children and a timeline that unfolds the history of the church. The guidebook costs £2.
Both the Short Guide and the Church Guidebook are available from the welcome desk at the entrance to the church.
To Waltham Cross (1.3 miles) from London Liverpool Street, Hertford East and Cambridge. – Services run approximately every 30 minutes in each direction. For details, contact Greater Anglia.
Waltham Abbey is served by several bus routes – for information, refer to:
- IntaLink (Hertfordshire Travel Information); routes 66, 86, 87, 211/212, 213/214, 240, 250 and 251.
- here to there, HarlowBuses.info; route 505.
M25 (junction 25/26) A121 – Waltham Abbey. The Abbey Church is in Highbridge Street (postcode EN9 1DG).
View Larger Map
Car parking is available outside the Abbey Church – free for two hours. Or park in the Cornmill car park behind the Spitfire restaurant, or in the Abbey Gardens car park (accessible from the roundabout on the B194 at the junction of Abbey View and Crooked Mile).
How to find the Abbey Church Centre
From the west door of the church (main entrance), take the small road to the right beside the Tourist Information Centre. At the end, continue on the footpath and bear to the left onto the service road. Follow this road to the right between the flats on your left and the river on your right. After a short distance, turn right to cross the bridge into the Abbey Gardens through the ruins of a gateway. Then go straight ahead following the path and taking the left branch. You will see the Abbey Church Centre ahead of you.