Although Covid restrictions have now been eased, we are currently only able to open the church to visitors at the times shown in Visiting the Abbey Church.
We can currently open the Abbey Church for:
- A limited number of worship services. The Services page gives details and also has resources that you can use at home if you are unable to attend.
- Baptisms, weddings and funerals. These can be arranged with the Parish Office.
In all cases it is still necessary to ask you to observe social distancing and, for the protection of others, to wear a mask or face covering unless you are medically exempt.
If you would like to confirm details before visiting please contact the Parish Office.
We welcome you to the parish community of Waltham Abbey. We hope that you enjoy your visit to our website. Do share with us your views, hopes and concerns. You will discover a vibrant parish that tries to respond to the needs of others and to be of service to the local community. We are by no means perfect, but we do try to live and proclaim the Gospel message of Jesus Christ who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
The parish of Waltham Abbey is part of the benefice of Waltham Holy Cross (which is itself part of the Deanery of Epping Forest and Ongar Deanery of the Diocese of Chelmsford). There are four Church of England churches within the benefice.
- The Abbey Church, which is the church of Holy Cross and St. Lawrence and is the parish church of Waltham Abbey.
- St. Lawrence Church, Ninefields, which is a district church within the parish of Waltham Abbey.
- St. Thomas Church, the parish church of Upshire.
- Holy Innocents Church, the parish church of High Beach.
We are committed to Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults. The PCC has adopted the Church of England’s policies and best practice on safeguarding which may be found on the Church of England website and also on the Diocese of Chelmsford website. Our Safeguarding Officer can be contacted via the Parish Office. Epping Forest District Council also has a safeguarding policy.